Tuesday, May 25, 2010

May 24 Munich - Airport Reflections

5/24 – 10AM Local Time (Munich, Germany)

Initial thoughts of Germany: I land in Munich as the first point of arrival into the country, waiting for a connecting flight in about an hour. German sounds very much like English for some odd reason, probably because they use English words here and there. The airport is impeccably clean.

A few cool things that they have: sectioned off luxury lounges for smokers, bright orange foam beds for people to sleep on, and free coffee and tea machines near every gate – and the coffee is actually delicious!

I got here only to realize that I totally forgot about the adapter situation, had to buy one, a hefty thing with all the universal plug adaptations. Damn Europeans need to exert their uniqueness with different outlet shapes everywhere! I haven’t exchanged any Euros yet, at some point I’ll have to do that. I think that I saw it was 0.70 exchange rates. That was better than when I was in Rome, which it was .67 I think. I bought a bottle of water and it was 3.35 euro!

The flight over was miserable, I was stuck in a middle seat and kept feeling sick. I slept for most of the flight, so that was good! The guy to my left was very gracious in helping me get my luggage up on the storage bin and brought it down for me when we landed. The guy to my right was a total nerd, in the purest sense of a nerd! He had a sheet full of chemical/physics formulas that he stared at for about 2 hours. Then he proceeded to read these research articles; but what made it over the top was the way he ate his food, awkwardly holding his utensils, incapable of opening the plastic wrapping, and dropping the plate in his lap periodically. Anyone could’ve come to that same conclusion with just one look, but I definitely supported my judgment label with irrefutable evidence.

Hanover is spelled with one n in English but in German, it has two n’s. I was wondering why I’ve seen it spelled both ways. I’m starting to wake up now. Some girl on our flight threw up on all over the wall of the hallway to our connecting flight right after we got off the plane. It was pretty gross. Reminded me of this other time that someone I knew threw up all over the wall, it’s weird how high the whole thing starts out and then uniformly distributes downwards.

Oh, but one thing I’m grateful for – no crying babies on my flight! I swear, I think I think it’s an Asian thing to just let you baby cry profusely with regard: Absolutely irresponsible and inconsiderate of others!

No comments: